Saturday 21 May 2016

Organizing a Pantry Cupboard

Sometimes when I am particularly busy, I need to focus on quick and easy organizing projects rather than the long and involved ones.  I also like to focus on “hot spots” that I use all the time.

One of those ongoing organizing jobs that I don’t particularly enjoy is cleaning out the grocery cupboard and/or the fridge.


So my next project is to get stuck in once again! My strategy is as follows:
  1. Take everything out, shelf by shelf, and wipe down the shelves. Sometimes I just do a shelf at a time; sometimes I go the whole hog and empty the entire cupboard at once.
  2. Then get rid of expired items – though we are quite good at actually using things up, occasionally spices and such like things do get past their best. And stuff that lurks at the back of the cupboard gets over looked sometimes. I am sorry to say I know there are a few jars of Christmas fruit mince that have been there too long! I also write down on the grocery list things that need to be replaced.
  3. Next give away food that is still usable but that we have not actually used.
  4. Then group like items together and use containers to store open packets. I use clear containers so I can see what is in them. I also use a bigger container to put lots of small things together, such as all the sauces in a long, shallow container.
  5. Finally put things back in a logical order with like things together. All cans go on a narrow shelf at the back, grains and cereals have their own shelf. I also consider what is used most often – that needs to be at the front of the shelf and at eye-level so it is easy to grab and put back. Snacks also have their own shelf and baking goods have their own little cupboard.

So that is my strategy for trying to keep the non-perishable items in at least some sort of order. What are your tips for getting your food storage more organized?

No comments:

Post a Comment