Sunday 29 May 2016

Creating a Baking Ingredients Cupboard

I must confess I am not an expert or even a very regular baker. I have a few tried and tested recipes that I keep going back to, and I just keep the most basic baking equipment and ingredients in the house. 

What I have realized though is that it is helpful to have a “baking cupboard” in an accessible spot so when it is time to bake, the process is as quick and easy as possible. This also makes it easier to get out and put away everything that is necessary and makes me more motivated to get baking.



So what are the “basics” for baking? I think it very much depends on what you like to make. Here is a list of what I consider some of the essential ingredients to have on hand for the conventional recipes I tend to make:

                Cake flour (and Bread flour if you like to make bread)
                White sugar, Brown sugar and Castor sugar
                Baking powder, Bicarbonate of Soda and Cream of Tartar
                Instant yeast (for bread making)
                Icing sugar and food colouring (in various colours)
                Cocoa powder
                Vanilla Extract/Vanilla Essence
                Assorted sprinkles for cakes and cupcakes
                Cup cake liners
                Syrup and Honey
                Vinegar

Obviously some fresh ingredients such as milk, butter/oil and eggs are also required. If you are catering for food allergies or intolerances you might also require more specialized ingredients.


What do you love to bake? Might it make your life easier to consider centralizing all your baking goods in one spot? What do you consider “essential” on the ingredients list?

No comments:

Post a Comment