Monday 16 May 2016

Judith Wilson’s “Casual Living”

“Imagine a home that is organized yet relaxed, functional yet comfortable, unfussy but also beautiful.”

This is a quote from the introduction to Judith Wilson’s book, “Casual Living”. I really love her writing and was delighted to find this book while travelling recently. Although the decor style that is depicted in the book is not really like my own, the ethos of casual living that she describes really resonated with me.  I love the idea of a really functional space that does not sacrifice comfort or beauty.

I have a lot of inherited items that are precious to me, but I am reluctant to use them in case they are damaged or broken. I have realized though that I need to embrace a more casual style that allows me to relax and not worry about the cat scratches, spills and invariable mishaps. I have chosen to put more precious items in the master bedroom where they are less exposed to wear and tear and allow our living area and kitchen to house more utilitarian and functional things that are still beautiful in their own right.

As Judith Wilson describes casual living actually needs to be functional, organized and fuss –free as well as relaxed, comfortable and beautiful.  In my case, I think some paring down of items that are “high maintenance” may be necessary to achieve a more casual life style.

I have also been reflecting on the need to simplify and only to keep things that really bring joy.  I think part of the casual living ethos is to live with what is either necessary or beautiful and not to be weighed down with things that are no longer useful for the current stage of our lives.  Asking myself the question, “Why am I keeping this?” has been really helpful.  I am also thinking more carefully about the functions of each of our spaces and trying to keep things where they are used and useful. 

Are you a fan of casual living? What tips or advice do you have to create a simple and beautiful space that is also organized and functional?



No comments:

Post a Comment