Monday 20 March 2017

Tackling Your Paperwork in Six Steps

Do you have an ever increasing paper pile that is getting out of control? Are you avoiding tackling your papers because it feels too overwhelming?

We recently discovered a large file of old papers and I must confess it has been sitting in my "to file" draw for some months because I just couldn't face dealing with it. I knew that the papers needed to be sorted but as there were no urgent papers for our attention, I was delaying tackling the job! I much prefer dealing with small amounts often rather than having to tackle a huge filing job! Maybe you have a similar paper challenge?


This is my six step system for handling papers:

1. Collect all papers together in a single spot ready to be sorted.

Create an in box or basket where you can regularly drop incoming paperwork. If possible, try to decide immediately what needs to be done with each piece of paper as it comes in instead of allowing a pile to accumulate. Deal with your most recent incoming papers first if you have a large backlog. As I have a school aged child, I have a separate basket for all incoming school papers as there are a lot of them! You might also choose to go digital where possible to reduce incoming paper.

2. Create an "Action" file of everything that needs immediate attention.  

Create a folder of items that need action taken (or if you are a visual person it might be useful to pin reminders to a noticeboard). I keep a small concertina file of "current" paperwork. Remember to act on these papers and then file or shred them once they are dealt with. I also like to make a note in my planner of things to do and remember.

3. Sort papers into categories.

This is really the worst and most time consuming part if you have a lot of papers. Basically you need to decide what must happen with each piece of paper.In my mind there are basically three categories of paperwork: "Action", "File" and "Shred".

If you have a daunting paper pile like I did,  it might be helpful to tackle the sorting job in one extended session (taking regular tea breaks of course!). I like to play music I enjoy while I am sorting, and set a timer for breaks. Although it is a painful and boring job, I am so glad and relieved to have got it done! If it is not feasible to get the job done in one day, it might be helpful to set a timer for a set amount of time each day and just do what you can manage.While you are sorting, try to keep like documents together in the "file" pile to make the next step a bit easier.

4. File everything that you need to keep. 

If you don't already have one, you will need to create an effective filing system. I try to keep file categories as broad as possible so that it is easy to file and I don't have to look through a multitude of folders to find an appropriate piece of paper. This step might take some thought as you may need to have different methods for different types of paper.

For example, important documents to keep indefinitely might need to go into a fire proof box. You may keep a sentimental items box to keep a few pieces of children's art work per year. Manuals and guarantees might have their own box or other filing method. Other documents could go into labelled folders. It is worthwhile to give some thought to what will work best for the types of papers that you need to deal with. Basically you want to be able to find papers that you have filed relatively easily!

5. Shred what can be recycled.

I have created a "to shred" box so that I can spend a small amount of time on shredding each day while watching TV or listening to music. This is far less overwhelming that tackling the huge pile all at once!

6. Review your system. 

You may find that your system is not working well for some reason. It might be useful to reflect on what works best for your personality and habits and to tweak your method from time to time to make it more effective. It might also be useful to go through your filing system periodically to purge old papers that are no longer necessary.

I encourage you to make a start on that paperwork you might have been avoiding! You will feel so happy and relieved to get the load off your mind. Once you have dealt with all that paper make a resolution to keep on top of it in future so you never need to face that mountain again. You can read a previous post on dealing with paperwork by clicking here.


No comments:

Post a Comment