Saturday 15 October 2016

Get More Organized with an Annual Planning Session

It is my annual tradition to start to plan for the following year in September or October. I like to start planning so early because I find the last quarter of the year is very busy with lots of family birthdays, end of school arrangements and Christmas holiday time, so the new year tends to sneak up on me.



For 2016 I drew up my own planner/diary in a notebook that included a weekly page view as well as a space at the back of the notebook for lists and reminders. I have done the same again for 2017, but in my new planner/diary I have put all the weekly reminders on one page and then the facing page is blank for a weekly to-do list. It is like a hybrid of a bullet journal and a more traditional planner/diary.

In my annual planning session I do the following:
  1. Rule up a notebook in the format I think I will need for the following year. This is quite a lengthy process but I get a custom made planner/diary that exactly fits my needs. (Of course there are plenty of really lovely ones already out there, so it would be equally helpful to just buy one that is ready-made if you can find one that fits your needs.)
  2. Next I write in all the birthdays, anniversaries and special dates to remember for the year on the relevant pages in my planner/diary. I find this more helpful than a separate birthday list as it reminds me on the day to send a birthday wish. I usually used a brightly coloured pen so that these reminders stand out.
  3. Then I mark off the school terms and holidays, and note first days back and last days of school term.
  4. When the school calendar of events comes out for the following year, I transfer the relevant dates to my diary/planner so that all my reminders are in the same place and I don't accidentally book another appointment at the same time as a school event.
  5. At the back of my 2017 planner/diary I have also added some page headings to help me remember extra lists:
                   Goals for the year
                   Books to read
                   DIY reminder list
                   Master packing list
               
If your family needs visual reminders it is helpful to also use a monthly or weekly calendar in a visible place (fridge door for us!) This may be helpful to keep everyone on track and can incorporate weekly activities and meal plans. For some lovely free printable 2017 calendar pages from "The Typical Mom" click here.

This may seem like a lot of work, but it is a most helpful organizing session that really sets me up for the year and helps me to remember all the important dates.

What are your tips for using a planner/diary or bullet journal effectively? Do you do an annual planning session or do you plan on a shorter term basis? Please comment with your tips and tricks.
                 
             




No comments:

Post a Comment