Friday 1 July 2016

Setting a Table for a Special Occasion

A special table setting really adds to the sense of occasion and can be fun to set up if you want to celebrate a particular event.  I think a setting can be as simple or elaborate as the time and energy you have available!

On a day-to-day basis we often set the table very simply for dinner, using just place mats and serviettes with the essential plates, water glasses and eating implements. It is a fun tradition and eating at the table makes mealtime feel a little bit more special.  We keep everything in the dresser near the dining table, so it is really easy to take out and put away again afterwards.

I also have a small collection of items that work together for more elaborate occasions. We have a round dining table and although I have struggled to find a suitable table cloth to cover it, I eventually found a neutral coloured cloth which works well as a backdrop.  I also use neutral serviettes and silver coloured rings which co-ordinate with them. Although they are all silver coloured, the serviette rings have different patterns on them so we can tell which belongs to which person. Also essential are the place mats with plain white crockery, as are some small clear water glasses, wine glasses and champagne glasses if we are really going to splash out! I also try and remember to have a selection of white serving platters and various serving implements on hand to try to present the various eats in a simple but attractive way.

The colour and theme of the table then comes from a centre piece of flowers or candles.  Sometimes I also use paper serviettes that co-ordinate with the flowers so there is less laundry after the event. It is also fun to add colourful balloons tied with ribbon, especially for birthday celebrations! Last year for my birthday I decided to host an afternoon tea party, so the table setting was made colourful with a mismatched selection of tea cups and saucers that I had inherited.  I was also delighted to find serviettes with a tea-cup design on them to complete the theme! This year I would like to use a butterfly theme for my birthday celebration and I am already thinking about what little finishing touches will make the occasion special.

Do you enjoy setting the table for special occasions? What tips do you have to make a celebration memorable?

No comments:

Post a Comment