Wednesday 6 January 2016

Dreaming and Gratitude

On her blog The Inspired Room, Melissa Michaels wrote a lovely post entitled “5 Little Ways to Fall in Love with your Home”.  This blog post was an inspiration to me and started off a train of thought about whether in fact I was truly appreciating our home.

I love browsing photos of homes in magazines and on Pinterest! It is easy to dream of a “picture perfect” home. But sometimes I find that I am so busy dreaming that I lose out on the joy of loving the home I am in.  That is when being grateful and finding joy in routine is also necessary. I occasionally need to remind myself to focus on the everyday beauties of being at home and to find joy, creativity and fun in home making rather than putting it all on hold until the day my home is more photo-worthy!

In her first book, “Love the Home you Have”, Melissa Michaels concludes with a “31-Day Love Your Home Challenge” which is a month worth of activities to help homemakers to find joy in their homes. She has so many great ideas, and a few of them I am really making use of regularly! Here are my top three:

  1. We are blessed to have a small garden, and so I have been picking greenery to put on the table and also blue Hydrangeas as they are in flower in our summer garden here in South Africa. It is lovely to have seasonal flowers in the house.
  2. We recently got rid of the desk and exercise bike that were in our bedroom and replaced them with a chair and small table for sitting and reading or drinking tea. This has given our bedroom a more restful atmosphere.
  3. I am still working on the wording, but remembering that the purpose of our home is to be a sanctuary for relaxation and a place for creative expression rather than a perfectly picturesque space is a good reminder. I would like to put up our purpose statement on a chalkboard or canvas when I have finalized the wording.

What are some of the things you enjoy most about your home? What projects are you dreaming of doing in 2016?

No comments:

Post a Comment